Episode 88 of the NeurologyLive® Mind Moments® podcast is now live! Scroll down to listen or click here to subscribe on your favorite streaming service.
The Mind Moments podcast features exclusive interviews with leaders in the field discussing the latest research and disease management strategies across the breadth of neurology, including epilepsy, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson disease, dementia, sleep disorders, and more.
Episode 88, "2023 AAN Annual Meeting Highlights," features exclusive commentary from a variety of specialists in neurology who presented research and gave talks at the 75th American Academy of Neurology Annual Meeting, held April 22-27, 2023, in Boston, Massachusetts. Those included in this week's episode, in order of appearance, are:
- Michael H. Barnett, MBBS, PhD, FRACP, a consultant neurologist at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital (RPAH) Sydney, director of the RPAH MS Clinic and the MS Clinical Trials Unit at the Brain and Mind Centre; codirector of the MS Research Australia Brain Bank; and a senior professor at the University of Sydney.
- Nancy R. Foldvary-Schaefer, DO, FAAN, the director of the Sleep Disorders Center and staff in the Epilepsy Center at Cleveland Clinic, and a professor of medicine at the Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine of Case Western Reserve University.
- Sean J. Pittock, MD, the director of the Center for Multiple Sclerosis and Autoimmune Neurology and director of the Neuroimmunology Research Laboratory at Mayo Clinic.
- Katherine W. Turk, MD, a neurologist at Boston VA Memory Disorders Clinic, principal investigator and codirector of the Center for Translational Cognitive Neuroscience lab (CTCN) at VA Boston; and assistant professor of neurology and coleader of the Outreach, Recruitment and Engagement core of the Alzheimer’s Disease Research Center at Boston University.
- Erika U. Augustine, MD, MS, the associate chief science officer and director of the Clinical Trials Unit at the Kennedy Krieger Institute.
- Jeffrey M. Statland, MD, a neuromuscular disease specialist and professor of neurology at the University of Kansas Medical Center.
- Chian-Chun Chiang, MD, a stroke and migraine specialist and assistant professor of neurology at Mayo Clinic.
Click here for all of NeurologyLive®'s coverage of AAN 2023.
This episode is brought to you by Medical World News, a streaming channel from MJH Life Sciences®. Check out new content and shows every day, only at medicalworldnews.com
- 1:10 – Barnett on the topline findings for CNM-Au8 from the VISIONARY-MS clinical trial.
- 8:35 – Foldvary-Schaefer on the understanding of the relationship between epilepsy and sleep.
- 13:25 – Pittock on the latest data on ravulizumab from the CHAMPION-NMOSD trial.
- 19:00 – Turk on the landscape of diagnosis and treatment for mild cognitive impairment, and how to improve the process.
- 22:00 – Augustine on Dr. Sidney Carter and the current paradigm of care in child neurology.
- 27:15 – Statland on the findings for ataluren in nonsense mutation Duchenne muscular dystrophy from Study 041.
- 34:05 – Chiang on the takeaways from a big data analysis of 25 therapies for acute migraine management.
Click here to subscribe to the Mind Moments podcast. Be sure to leave a rating and review for the show. Thanks for listening!
Hoping to listen on your favorite podcast app? See below:
1. Barnett MH. VISIONARY-MS Top-line Results: A Phase 2, Randomized, Double-Blind, Parallel Group, Placebo-controlled Study to Assess the Safety and Efficacy of CNM-Au8, a Catalytically Active Gold Nanocrystal Suspension in Relapsing Multiple Sclerosis. Presented at: AAN Annual Meeting; April 22-27, 2023; Boston, MA.
2. Foldvary-Schaefer NR. Diagnostic Testing: Beyond the MSLT. Presented at: AAN Annual Meeting; April 22-27, 2023; Boston, MA.
3. Pittock SJ. Efficacy and safety of ravulizumab in adults with anti-aquaporin-4 antibody-positive neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder: outcomes from the phase 3 CHAMPION-NMOSD trial. Presented at: AAN Annual Meeting; April 22-27, 2023; Boston, MA.
4. Statland JM. Safety and Efficacy of Ataluren in nmDMD Patients from Study 041, a Phase 3, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Trial. Presented at: AAN Annual Meeting; April 22-27, 2023; Boston, MA.
5. Chiang CC. Simultaneous Comparisons of 25 Acute Migraine Medications: A Big Data Analysis of 10 Million Patient Self-Reported Treatment Records From A Migraine Smartphone Application. Presented at: AAN Annual Meeting; April 22-27, 2023; Boston, MA.